Tuesday 19 April 2016

Pride of Barbados

It seems fitting to celebrate a national symbol on a blog about a country. So today P is for the national flower of Barbados- called the Pride of Barbados flower.

Its scientific name is Caesalpinia pulcherrima and it is a very pretty flower. It comes in different colours but our national flower is the yellow and re-orange type.

It is a shrub that can grow quite large, and it was common to see it function as a hedge in the past. These days landscapers use it for its highly decorative features. I have heard that it may also have certain medicinal qualities.

The Pride of Barbados may be found as one of the symbols on our national coat of arms. 

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful flower. I'd never seen it before and though I know a few Bajans I never knew it was on the coat of arms.
    Rosa
    @RosaT_Author
    Rosa Temple writes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Rosa. I'll pop over to visit your blog...

      Delete
  2. So pretty! When my aunt lived in Barbados and we visited I don't recall seeing any in bloom but I was much younger then and may have just not been paying attention (typical, yeah? lol)

    ReplyDelete