Monday 4 April 2016

Coastline





For various reasons, I only have access to my phone for pics for the next few days, so the A to Z Blog Challenge that I signed up for is some jeopardy.

I am still trying to piece together the rules of the challenge, so I have just realised that I should announce a theme. So I will stick to my theme of Barbados and make Landscape a sub-theme.

Today C is for Coastline. Yes, I really had to work for that one! But today's shot was taken from plane as I was flying back into the country. I like it because when I look at it, it communicates a lot about the island to me. Good and bad.

Its a patch of green in a deep blue sea. That's because its a shot of the south coast looking to the east. So instead of the light and gentle turquoise of the Caribbean Sea which bathes our western coastline, we have the deeper, stronger blues of the Atlantic Ocean.
There is a lovely strip of buff coloured- we are proud of our beaches despite the ravages of time, man and rising sea levels. The beach is deeply ingrained in the Barbadian psyche as a national heritage. You want to start a riot or lose an election in Barbados? Establish a private beach.

Behind that strip of sand is a largish patch of undisturbed greenery. For us this is rare. We have only two coast wetland areas remaining. Over the course of our history our wetlands were lost, removed to make way for development, especially tourism.

The green of the landscape is liberally strewn with little pale dots of houses and other buildings. Even though this is a shot of what would be considered a more rural area. To my eye its signifies the population pressure we have. Compared to other Caribbean islands, even the bigger ones, a lot of people live on tiny Barbados.

Lastly, the best part. The white crests of waves approaching the coastline. This is the white teeth in the blog title- waves breaking on the dark patches of reef below.


 



5 comments:

  1. As far as I understood you could have taken part without a theme. But I am happy you chose one and Barbados is brilliant! I am looking forward to seeing or reading more (if you can't take pictures). Your description of the colours and the coastline was great and I could see it before my inner eye without even having looked at the picture.

    Happy blogging A to Z !!!

    ClaoWue from Potpourri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clao, I dropped by you blog and its really interesting. I love travel so I will drop by again.

      Delete
  2. That's a gorgeous picture!
    I am blogging without a theme, so I sure hope it's okay.
    Have a Good A-Z

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really nice. I love the picture. I hope you keep going! I don't have a theme, it was a last minute thing for me. I don't think it really matters as long as it gets you blogging every day!

    ReplyDelete