Thursday 7 April 2016

Folkestone





I haven't found an "E" so I will skip to "F".

This shot was taken at Folkestone Beach on the West Coast. It is a popular picnic and swimming spot, especially for locals. 

When I took this shot, it was the first time I had been there in many years. So I was taken aback by the very nice pedestrian walkway along the beach and the sprinkling of seats. 

It makes the beach side more appealing for just popping over and hanging out for a while or maybe taking a stroll or a jog. Some of my shock also came from the extent of beach erosion. Twenty-five years ago, the water's edge would have been much farther away. Where you now see a people swimming, those same people would have been standing on dry sand with no danger of getting their feet wet, even at high tide.

This shot was edited in the phone and I was impressed with how the phone handled the conversion to black and white. Ironically this was achieved by dialing back the saturation to zero. For the non-photographers, this is considered one of the least effective ways to create a monochrome image. The phone editing software, while it has impressed me as much as the phone's camera, did not do a good job with its black & white filter, I think.

I know a few people who would prefer the colour image so I added the shot in colour below. You can decide.




1 comment:

  1. While looking at the black and white I was focused on the clouds. In the pic with the colour I looked at the sunset...

    ClaoWue
    from
    Potpourri

    ReplyDelete