Sunday 10 April 2016

Holy Innocents' and Hutson

This post is late and tinged with sadness.

The pic is a photo of Holy Innocents' Anglican Church in St. Thomas. Barbados is divided into eleven (11) parishes; ten (10) are named after various saints. The exception is the one called Christ Church. All parishes have a parish church of the anglican faith and will have other smaller anglican churches in the parish as well. Holy Innocents' is not a parish church. My sister tells me it is a chapel. But it is a pretty, peaceful, little church with a well-kept yard and a rectory attached. It's on the way to Harrison's Cave- one of our major tourist attractions- and worth a detour if you like churches.

As a former british colony, christianity is the dominant religion in the country and Anglicanism was the established denomination of the state. This was changed sometime in the last century but many people continue in the Anglican faith. My uncle Hutson one such.

Saturday was, sadly, devoted to his funeral. He attended Holy Innocents' and was organist there was much of his adult life. So, as a faithful servant of the church, he was commemorated and interred there.

I wanted a different look for the shot so I processed it in the phone using a filter that converts it to a sort of expressionist painting. That look fitted how I felt better than the original crisp, sharp shot. Soft, wistful and a bit sad.

Goodbye, Uncle Hutson, we will miss you terribly.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your Uncle. My sympathies.

    It surprised me to read that there's Anglican faith. Somehow I thought this area would be Roman Catholic... but the English had come as well and not only the Spanish. I nearly forgot.

    I love this processed picture. It looks great that way.

    ClaoWue
    from
    Potpourri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Clao. Barbados was only ever settle by the British, never by the French, Spanish or Dutch. Some of the other islands saw ownership pass from one power to the next, depending on who won the last battle!

    ReplyDelete