Thursday 21 April 2016

Okra

This post is out of sequence and overdue but I thought I woyld post it anyway. This post is O for Okra.

The photo is of the flower of the okra plant. Its quite a lovely flower. The green buds behind it are very young okra pods. I choose this as the subject because I have always wanted to photograph this flower.

Okra is a staple of caribbean cooking. I believe it also festures prominently in southern cooking from the US. It is a green pod, that may be 5-7 inches long , with scores of pink seeds inside. I have added a pic of the pod on the plant as well, for those of you who don't know the vegetable.

For us in Barbados it is particularly important because it is a central ingredient in our national dish- flying fish and cou-cou (we pronounce it kuh-coo). Okra is actually used to make the cou-cou, which is the starchy part of the meal, by combining it with cornmeal. You can't cou-cou witho

I don't like okra and will not eat it as a rule. I consider the texture to be slimy but I am in a small minority. Everyone else around me loves it. I do however love this flower.

1 comment:

  1. oh it is pretty. Our neighbor grew it last year. We do eat it in the South but it's really not in much. Mainly people just do fried okra but it's not a huge deal around here I don't think. Never has been in our house or where we eat.

    ReplyDelete